Sunday 18 November 2007

Changing My Game

This week, the Group I'm involved in had a Session with Verneer and Hookem148 which was a really good session and from my point of view invaluable and has given me an insight into the level of thinking that is required to be a successful winning player and where I want my game to be. In particular, there was a discussion at the end of the session on 3-betting which I kind of lost half way through.

The session also identified certain situation's where I was missing out on because I was folding but he was exploiting and I have finally been able to open my game up since then by not doing much different but at the moment I am getting more respect at the tables and I think the penny has dropped on this one, about time!

When I post my results at the end of the month, I'm going to do a comparison of my play from before the session with Verneer and Brian and afterwards and I'm hoping I see a fundamental difference.

Most of what I got out of the session was related to Table Image and how fundamentally important it is here are some of the key points I picked up: -

Table Image

  • Be aware of Table Image at all times. This was something I knew about but hadn't really brought into my game at all as I felt it wasn't relevant at the levels I'm playing at. However, this is a mistake and it is something I am now conciously thinking about and hopefully before long it will become second nature.
  • The importance of Changing Gears and doing the opposite of how you were playing at the start of the session i.e. if playing loose initially tighten up and playing tight loosen up. This is probably going to take a bit of time to bring into my game as I don't feel its a very easy thing to do.
  • Someone's 1st impression of you as a player tends to be what they remember and you can take advantage of this.
General Points Made

  • Playing re raised pots is a big weakness
  • Punish limper's in position
  • The Use of Blocker Bets
  • Playing for Stack's alot of the time with sometimes marginnal hands against Shortstacks.
  • Hands like QJ/ Weak Ax are trouble hands
  • AJS doesn't play well post flop
  • A & K high flops are good flops to c-bet with as people can't call unless they have the Ace/King. I thought this was the reverse so will see how this goes. Obviously if meet with resistance shut down
  • Playing Re Raised Pots is a big weakness unless you have a good hand
There may be other things I missed but these were the main area's for me that I got out of the session and my interpretation of his comments. I hope that we can do some more of these as a group.

Aside from this, myself and Willie also got in a sweat session this week and its something I think we're going to try and do on a regular basis. Neither of us really got into any difficult situations but over time we should be able to help each other as we have totally different playing styles.

Finally I have got out of the habit of blogging and my updates have become more and more infrequent so from now on I am going to try and post an update 3 times a week.

5 comments:

RakebackFAQ said...

I think you made some good notes m8. Its something that i didnt think of doing so iam going to steal yours. Put for the next one iam going to take some. I think one thing you can add is against very loose players big cards go up in value and small ones go down. I was messing around with pokerstove and AXs is usually 60% fave against broadway cards. Which i was amazed with.

I think it was a really good session and something we should all keep up with.
About the sweat sessions i think its best if you do one one night and i do one the next trying to get 2 in is a bit tough. What do you think?

mongoose said...

had just reviewed the verneer 6-table vid and a bunch of the same concepts came up. for instance, he mentioned changing gears as something "we are going to do", but the video ended before that occurred.

i also noticed the theme of isolating limpers. table image is something that dodgy talks about in his video as well.

more blogging sounds like something good, and something i should do as well.

DODGYKEN said...

Really interesting post. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the "Playing in reraised pots is a big weakness" statement please. What exactly do you mean by this?

I play in a lot of 3-bet pots, mostly where I've made the 3-bet myself (which I assume is not what you're talking about), but I also play in a fair few where I call a 3-bet in position.

Marc said...

Nice recap, Chris. To further your thought on table image, where you want to use it is to maximize how you exploit your range versus your opponents. When your image is good, you can open up a bit because they'll believe you when you rep something stronger than you actually have, but you have to remember that when they start to play back at you, you need to give them credit because they think you have something strong.

losbert said...

Thanks for the comments guys

Willie I agree with you about the sweat sessions we shouldn't switch half way through.

Robert I haven't looked at that video yet but will certainly check it out

Martin

I may have misheard, I think he probably means that playing in 3-betpots when your not the 3-bettor in position i.e. calling a three bet is what he means but I will get some clarification.