Sunday 4 November 2007

Can I Start November Again?

So far this month has been pretty horrendous. I've contrived to lose 4 buy ins so far. This is obviously mostly through bad play on my part because I guess I could have got away from some of the hands I lost money with but some of them I don't think I could have done much about.

At least I've got time to recover from this but I was hoping for another solid month and then to move back up to 50NL. This is going to set back those plans because its going to be tough to get back at 25NL.

Anyway here's a couple of hands, which I've also posted on the CR forum: -

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1661981

The other player in this hand is playing at 50.30/23.08 and I made a bad read here as I thought he was drawing to the flush. I think I should have pushed on the turn. Also, what does the Min bet on the flop mean is he trying to enduce a bet from me?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1661998

Is this a bad call on the flop. Should I have let this go and waited for a better spot. This goes back to problems I keep having with over valuing top pair The other player is playing at 37.5/5.77.

The other hands where I lost significant amounts are hands where I don't think I could have done much about them so there's not much point in posting them.

4 comments:

Marc said...

Sorry to hear about the slow start, but you're right, there is time to get it back this month. Just let it come to you, though, don't try to force it.

On hand 1, it's pretty tough luck. His play on the flop could mean a lot of things, but when he leads the river after getting raised on both the flop and turn, I think that I'd just call. He could have an overpair, but I think it's much more likely he's got a full house or a missed flush draw that isn't calling anyway, or even another AK. I would just call.

Hand 2: I would fold this just because your kicker is bad. To me, it looks like your opponent has a flush draw, a better TP, or perhaps an overpair. If he's got a flush draw, he probably has an overcard, giving him excellent equity against you. Most of the other stuff he does this with, you are in even worse shape. I don't think the call is totally awful, but it's going to be a high variance call and over the long haul against a guy with these stats who you have position, on, I'd just wait for a better spot.

Pistol said...

Hey Chris,

4 buy ins is nothing to fret about especially since we are still early in the month.

I don't like your play in hand 1. Villains donk bet is awesome for us. He bet .20 into a 3 dollar pot in where we only have a gutshot and 2 overs, that are probably tainted. Considering he is the pf 3 bettor, I don't think he has air and is in fact doing this foolishly with a set or a very poorly played AA.

No nned to get fancy here, just take the 15:1 he is offering you and hope to spike a T for the nuts.

As played, just try and get it all in on the turn, b4 the board gets uglier. Given villains line, I doubt he is folding.

As played i think you can fold the river, b/c you are only beating AA/KK and choping with AK and losing to QQ/JJ/TT (all of which are in his range). The most important aspect is that he 3 bet you preflop, donk called flop, donk called turn, and is now firing full pot on river.

At the very least save the additional 7 and only call if you cant find a fold.

Hand 2 is a little tricky, if you have a read he is doing this with a naked flush draw go with the hand, but realize it is high variance b/c most to the time you will be 50/50 or close to it.

Later,

Pistol

PGK said...

Hand 1 is a cooler but I like raising the turn more when you hit, and I'm not sure about the flop raise as it seems kind of pointless and are you doing it for value with A high or to get him to fold?

Hand 2 just let it go, it's very high variance even though so often he'll have the flush draw, the thing is he'll often have an A, K, or Q to go with that flush draw giving him 12 outs twice = 48% at the very worst. Tough spot, just the kind of thing that when you learn to let go and move on to the next hand you will notice your results start to improve dramatically.

Pete

RakebackFAQ said...

Iam sure you will turn the month around Chris theres lots of it to go.

Hand 1)
I think you played it fine the only thing i would change is calling on the river rather than raise i just think its UL. If you put him on a set you have to get in on the turn.

Hand 2)
I like your play up to where you call the allin. I think you can easily fold this its no way strong enough to be getting in with. I think you have to bit your lip and fold.

Ill probably look up skype for you tomorrow we can do a session. Ill stick to holdem this time havent been playing much yet.

All the best