Monday 10 December 2007

General Update

Not really played that much this month so far but am slightly up for the month not that I'm overly bothered by results.

I'm generally trying to play with more discipline post flop although the 1st hand below kind of goes against that.

I'm using this month as a serious month for studying the game with a view to hitting the ground running in January. Would like to be moving back up to 50NL by next month but if I'm not ready then so be it and I'm not in any particular hurry.

Here's a couple of hands: -

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1794907

You'd think I'd have got the message here by the Turn but still decided to call the River for what reason I have no idea but it must have been obvious that he had a 5 at least. I have no stats on him.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1788598

I'm happy with how I played this hand up to the Turn but having had my pre flop raise called and also being called on the flop, the other player bet out the turn which made me think I was behind or he had the Flush Draw.

I wasn't considering calling as this would have pretty much left me committed on the River. My options as I saw it were to fold or Raise which would have had to have been an all in shove. I ended up folding as I didn't thing that a pair of J's with possible flush draws was a strong enough hand to continue with.

Is my line correct here or would anyone have played it differently.

His stats are 17.86/8.33


I posted the above hand on the CR forum and got conflicting replies. I have 2 people including Verneer saying I should have called but someone else saying the fold is fine. This is the type of hand that gets me into trouble of late. As I wasn't sure about it I decided to fold.

6 comments:

RakebackFAQ said...

Iam the same about studying and trying to get in the mood for a good start to the new year. I hope to get alot more serious by then.

You should try this site for posting hands when pokerorg dosent do what ever site your at correctly i got it from Baz.
http://weaktight.com

Hand 1.
I think you can slow down after he calls the turn his call screams that he has something.

Hand 2.
This is a nasty spot i like your hand here but if you think your only beating QJ really, there are others but thats the next highest. He seems pretty tight and only aggrassive with top 10% of hands so i think you did the right thing there. And you went with your gut feeling which is good.

Best of luck
Willie

Marc said...

Don't worry about lack of hands (not that you are worried)...study is always good.

Hand 1: I would probably slow down after he calls the flop, but I make similar mistakes with hands like these at game time. If I wanted to continue, I'd let him make the bets.

Hand 2: Agree with Willie on this one. I don't think any play is a huge mistake, though, to be honest. The thing is if you raise and hit TP, it seems like you can't be that wrong committing to the hand for only 2 PSB's, essentially what we have here, I think. On the other hand, it certainly seems like he wants action. I have a hard time putting short stacks on flush draw type hands because they don't get anywhere near the implied odds to play them...but time and time again, they do show up with flush draws. If it were me, I would probably just push, which is not much more than a call, but I don't see much problem folding.

Anonymous said...

Hand 1: pot is 2.60 on the flop, you don't really need to fire out full pot on this kinda of dry board that isn't likely to hit your opponents. You could certainly bet 1.70 or about 2/3 of the pot and find out where you are at. On the turn, what did he call your flop bet w/ that you beat, 88 or over cards? Since you're out of position I don't mind firing here again for about a half-pot to 2/3 pot bet which is about 4. If you get called here again, unless the opponent is a total monkey or bluff happy you can be pretty sure he has you beat. Check fold seems like the right play to me on the river.

Hand 2: I agree w/ Willie that the only hand I really see you beating is QJ, but I generally stack off pretty light to shortstacks. Probably a major leak in my game, but I prob call here. Folding is def. a low-variance alternative.

Anonymous said...

EDIT* oops, he's not a short stack. I think you went w/ the safe play here, I don't see people donk betting the turn for essentially a PSB w/ air or a draw here very often at this level.

Bazclef said...

Hand 2:
Great hand to post. Don’t see many laydowns like these posted. I’d pretty much always call here, and looking at it initially I thought your fold was really weak. But after thinking about what villain could have I love the analysis and fold. His line is really strong, and he’s tight, worst he could have is something like JQ/JT or a FD. He might fold JQ/JT pre here too, and if he flopped the spade FD it’s highly unlikely he’d lead the turn when he missed. Something like JdQd/JdTd maybe… but basically there are a lot more hands that beat you that you have beat. You’ve repped a good J and he’s leading into you very strongly, I like most of the time you’re going to be beat here.

Nice hand to post, I like that you took his PT stats into account and made a great all round decision. I’ll have to think about “what I’m beating” a lot more in these types of spots I think.

Will have to take a look at the other comments/CR post too.

Anonymous said...

hmmm. i'm ok with betting the flop and turn on Hand 1.

the fire one the turn is something i'd do as well, just because it's an undercard. but the resistance here is bad news.

check/fold river.

Hand 2: i'm ok with a fold. without a history between you two, i'm most inclined to think that he's afraid of the double-flush draw and betting out for a reason.