Tuesday 1 January 2008

2007 Review and 2008 Aims

For me from a Poker point of view, 2007 has been a disaster from a results point of view. I feel as though I have been running bad all year apart from a couple of months. Now this is what I would have said last year. However, having found Card Runners and changing my game drastically I know that aside from Variance, there are reasons why we run poorly and it is mainly due to poor decision making. For me this is most flop and is a continuing battle for me to get this right as I am losing far to much money Post Flop and this has to change or I will seriously have to consider whether to carry on.

I'm not particulary Results orientated other than I'd like to see an improvement in my results over time. My game has improved so much and I changed it dramatically over the course of 2007 and I would like to see some benefits from that because I'm not right now and there is no comparison between the player I was at the start of 2007 from where I am now.

My bank roll at the start of 2008 is the same as it was at the start of 2007 mainly through Rake back and bonuses fortunately. At the start of 2007, I was playing Full Ring 50NL mainly on I-Poker. In the early part of the year, I lost about half of my bank roll because I didn't really understand what I was doing. I understood the basics but I think people sussed me out because I was so tight and new when to play back at me or when to pass if I was strong. At this point I decided to find a Coaching Site and discovered Card Runners and the Low Limit Grinders Community which was set up and ultimately the Study Group that has come from that. CR has changed my game for the better in that I have switched to 6-max and totally changed how I play for the better. For instance in July my VPIP was 11.92, and PFR 10.69 over 12K hands whereas in December, I played 11K hands and my VPIP was 18.31 and PFR 16.88. I didn't find it difficult playing at 18/17 in December either and can't believe I was that tight looking back. I am happy with my play pre flop at the moment and know where my weaknesses are which is Post Flop and I am prepared to put so much work in in order to make 2008 a successful year for me.

Reading the blogs of the DodgyKen, Dice, LuckySob and Sir Neb just shows where we can get to if we put the effort in and want to succeed which I do.

Thats the negativity over with here's what I want to achieve in 2008: -

  1. I'm currently playing at 25NL and trying to build some 50NL tables into what I am playing by the end of the year ideally I'd like to be a good 200NL player.
  2. In the 1st couple of months of this year I want my Post Flop Game sorted out once and for all. I am going to work so hard at doing this so if I fail it won't be for the lack of trying.
  3. Use and learn from the resources available to me - Watching Video's, Contributing to the Forums through Posting hands and reading other peoples posts. The same with the Blog ensure that I post here regularly and also read the Group and other blogs on a regular basis and learn from what I am doing.
  4. Contribute fully to the SSNL Group we have going.
  5. Add some Heads Up and other types of Poker to my game.
  6. Try and Average 20K hands a month if I can. This will depend on work committments if I have to put in as many hours at work as I did last year then this won't be possible.
  7. Have at least 1 day a week when I don't play.
  8. Look into getting some coaching. This is something I want to do but my bankroll is not at a level at the moment where I can consider paying for a coach. I learnt so much in a group session with Verneer that I can see the benefits of doing this but need the bankroll to do so.
I think that's it no doubt there's other's but I'll review them as time goes on.

I'm not going to make any specific goals for January at the moment as its going to be another month of studying the game for the most part.

Year End Bank Roll $1,457

Finally good luck to everyone at the Poker tables in 2008.

Chris

6 comments:

Velislav Babatchev said...

Solid goals Chris, wish you the best of luck in sticking w/ them.

DODGYKEN said...

Good luck for 2008. Keep working hard to improve and doing things with the group and you'll be fine.

grinder said...

Nice summary Chris
I like your goals too , look forward to talking soon

Marc said...

Good goals...keep working hard and the results will follow (to myself as much as to you ;) ).

mongoose said...

looks like some solid thinking to me. best of luck in making it all happen.

RakebackFAQ said...

They seem like good solid goals Chris. All the best with achiving them in 08.