Thursday 3 January 2008

When Will It End?

The end of 2007 and the start of 2008 have been pretty disastrous from a poker point of view. I feel as though I'm on a permanent downswing which is never going to end. I guess I'm doing something fundamentally wrong because all I seem to be doing is winning small pots and lose big one's. Back to the drawing board I guess. At some point pretty soon I'd like to see some return on the work I've been doing lately. Any way here's a few hands. I'll post some more tomorrow: -

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1885938

The other player here is playing at 38.89/6.94/2.90.

I guess the fact that he called my c-bet on the flop should have set the alarm bells ringing here. I am kind of thinking now that I should have check call/folded the Turn and certainly under no circumstances should I have called the all in reraise.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1886001

This player is 36.84/15.79/1.54

I never saw the straight coming here. I'm fine with what I did up to the River. Maybe I can get away from this then on a draw heavy board but in view of his Stack Size I'm not sure.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1886032

This hand is actually quite funny. There is no way I am ever laying this down on the flop and will do the same thing every time unless someone tells me I 'm being a bit stupid. I ran this through Poker Stove and I'm only a 53% favourite against 2 players here on the flop. On the Turn this had increased to 69% but the money was already in on the flop. I thought both of them were drawing which is what I wanted but Rivered again.

BB is playing 38.5/22 and UTG+1 is at 55.56/2.22.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1886068


This hand is similar to the 1st one. I've posted this on the forum. The other player is a Card Runners member and is playing at 17.71/14.17/5.10.

This is a horrible flop for my hand but I'm still going to bet out here which is what I did. The call should have told me everything I needed to know. As if there weren't another draws on the board, the Turn decided to add another straight and flush draw to the mix. I think the bet here is probably questionable I now favour a check call/fold depending on what he does. There's no way I'm ever going to call his Turn Bet.

That will do for know I'll post some more tomorrow.

Hopefully that's the end of the negativity for a while.

6 comments:

Pistol said...

Hey Losbert,

Tough to hear you are having a hard time. Teh only thing I really do different is fold hand 1 to the Turn raise. As far as the last hand goes, I might c/c or c/f depending on a couple situations but I like the way you played it as well.

DODGYKEN said...

1. I think bet-folding this turn is best. I like betting as you want to get value from worse hands and charge draws, but turn raises almost always have one pair beat at these levels.

2. This is just one of those tough, opponent dependent spots. If he was aggressive at all - particularly on the river - I would probably call.

3. I like the way you played this with the BB being so aggro. I would be less inclined to shove if the other guy had a full stack though.

4. This is a truly horrible board. I might just check-fold the turn against some people as I wouldn't expect them to bet worse than AA. I thnk you played it OK though.

Stick with it and keep trying to improve. You're obviously putting in the effort as I see you posting on the forums, and hear about you getting involved in the group and so on. The results will come.

mongoose said...

1. fold to the shove, but you know that.

2. i'd never see the straight coming either. that turn sets up awkward stack/bet sizes for the river, so i can't see a way out of it.

if you blocker bet, he comes over the top, and you're calling. if you check, he shoves, but it's only 3/4 pot.

i'd expect to find some wins in there. just not this time i suppose.

3. you're the favorite, it just didn't work out this time.

4. you had to lay it down.

i know where you're coming from. i'm in that same boat. how long can it last until the results that are expected actually materialize? and the longer things go like this, the more you wonder if you're running bad, or just playing bad.

obviously you're taking the right steps to improve your game. i guess it's a matter of keeping it up and letting time do the trick.

Gregory Lynn said...

I know where you're coming from. I was in a funk from around August to the middle of December.

I didn't think I was playing bad, but I was.

I think the keys to working out of it are:

Take breaks when you start to feel frustrated. The longer these things go the shorter your fuse gets and you can go from mildly annoyed to OMGSuperTilt in less time than it take him to stack your chips.

Don't get cute. Your judgment is probably a little off so don't make plays that rely on judgment. Don't float, three bet light, or make big semi-bluffs. Stick to plays where you know the math is on your side.

Pay more attention to position. Tighten up your early position holdings. Continue to steal blinds frequently but refrain from getting into large pots with mediocre holdings.

C-bet less. Multiple callers, coordinated board, just let it go. In the same vein, don't get married to your PP especially out of position.

Make your decisions earlier in the hand where the bets are cheaper.

Make your raises a little bigger to make their responses to them easier to read.

Yes, you're giving up some value but it's worth it to get back on the right track.

RakebackFAQ said...

Some of them look rough and it looks like its fustrating to be in your shoes at the moment. I dunno what to say maybe a change of site would be good and also i hope you have a stop loss per session say 2-3 BI.

Best of luck

Marc said...

I can identify with your feelings...my last couple months have been pretty swingy, and I've yet to book a win this year. One thing that I try to remember is that the best improvements I've made have been coming out of downswings/breakeven periods...human nature I guess, but we tend to really examine our games more thoughtfully. So, hang in there!

Hand 1: I should have made a new year's resolution for myself to have a seriously good reason to call a turn raise with just one pair, even a pair of aces. I would fold on the turn...well I would advise to fold on the turn ;).

Hand 2: Tough spot. If you were planning to call on the river, I guess I would have just bet it...he'll probably call with a lot of worse two pair hands. That's probably what I would have done, as I think you're too strong to fold, but it's close. I think this is one of those hands that's really close, and that what you did isn't nearly as important as why you did it.

Hand 3: Nice hand, tough break.

Hand 4: Don't like a check/call here. I think it's OK to bet/fold, probably better to check/fold against a good opponent.