Friday 4 January 2008

A Comment That Made A Crucial Point To Me

There was some useful comments on my last post which I am definitely going to bear in mind. Something Martin (DodgyKen) said struck a chord with me and what he says is true. Thinking back alot of my money is lost calling raises on the turn/river when I don't have a strong enough hand to do so. The comment he made was as follows: -

Turn raises almost always have one pair beaten at the lower levels

This got me thinking there are undoubtedly other 1 line comments that are made in the Forums/Blogs etc which seem insignificant but is actually a very important piece of advice that I think I'll remember but when I'm caught up in the middle of a hand get so engrossed in it that I forget these snippets of imformation and revert to my old foolish ways. I'm going to start making a list of these and review them before the start of every session until they become automatic features of my play.

Here's a couple of hands I played this evening neither of which need any comment but the 1st 1 kind of illustrates DodgyKen's point accept its a Flop bet I' respond to but this could quite easily apply here. The 2nd one I just like for obvious reasons. More of that one and less of the first please!!

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1891020

He's playing at 24.87/14.81. Maybe checking behind here for pot control would have been a better play but I felt I had to bet out to try and protect my hand. The size of my bet compared to his remaining stack when he came over the top of me kind of gave me no option but to call.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1891052

Flopping Quads is always +ev. I'm actually amazed that the short stack folded to the River bet which I tried to set at an amount to get the BB to come over the top of me and the shortstack to go all in. I got the rest of BB's stack a couple of hands later.

After yesterday's moaning session I am alot happier today and was actually quite pleased with how I got on other than the 1st hand above. I'm in a better frame of mind than I was but the kind of sessions I've had lately is probably where we learn more about ourselves and the game.

Good luck.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you are doing well losbert, I see you post on CR often. I will add your blog to my blog. Feel free to check my blog out sometime, you can find links through any of the UF2B player's blogs, I believe.

btimm

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, one comment on your two hands. Why not bet out the flop with 55 since you were the preflop aggressor? It will be tough to get action/build a pot if no one bets the flop. Also, any Q will call you for sure at this level, since they will not believe you had even one 5. I think it might be a better play to bet out and then possibly check-call or check-raise the turn, making it look like you missed. Just a thought.

Marc said...

Same comment rang true for me...in fact I was thinking about that before I saw his comment, and believe it's a huuuuge leak for you, me, and all the other low limit guys calling big raises with one pair, without a pretty good read or reason to. Nice one.

RakebackFAQ said...

It would be good if you shared all these little pieces of info you find i miss some of it like the 13tips for moving up one, it is a gem.

Godd to hear your back to winning ways, best of luck with January