Saturday 25 August 2007

Depressing Few Days

I've been a bit slack updating this blog this week mainly because things have not been going very well.

For the past three days I'm down about 4 buy ins not particularly through bad play but I just don't seem to be getting a good run of cards whether I'm being Card Dead, The few Big Hands I've had aren't standing up or not being able to hit a flop its just been one of those weeks where nothing I try seems to work. I know we all go through these spells but what I would like to know is how we can turn these sessions into positives. I'm reasonably happy with the way I'm playing and not tilting but this happens on a regular basis for me and I don't know what to do because despite the improvements I know I have made in my game, I just don't seem to be seeing the results.

I know I'm being a bit too results orientated here but I would like to see an improvement in what I am achieving.

Here's a couple of hands that I may have been able to escape from but I'm not totally convinced that I could have done: -

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1408087

My opponent is playing at 52.25/35.3 and I mis read him here I put him on a draw which is why I reraised on the turn. Its a couple of days since I played this hand and in hindsight I may have been able to get away from the hand here. Mind you whether I can escape when in the middle of playing the hand I have my doubts. Also would you call the preflop reraise with a Suited Ace?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1408106

A hand against my "friend" the shortstack , he's at 42.04/7.31 which is the main reason why I made the call I was 50/50 to folding but in the end felt I had to make the call. Would any one have folded here. If I never see another shortstack it will be too soon.

That's today's moan over no doubt it will be continued soon!!!!

2 comments:

robracing said...

I am afraid that you should probably be pitching your bullets when the villain leads the turn here. You could perhaps call here, but you must figure that you are behind and drawing to just two outs. Regarding suits; I don't think that this should be considered unless there are 3 of a suit on the board. Really, the odds of hitting runner-runner for the flush are small enough not to be significantly considered, at any stage, in any poker hand, in my opinion. (I think that a lot of bad calls are justified by the fact that "I had a backdoor draw".)

Hand 2 :

I think it is important to differentiate between a short-stack and a short-stacker. I assume that your villain here was a short-stack because he had leaked away his half of his big-stack? (As opposed to a player that sits with the minimum looking for a spot to double up snd then hit and run)

His 3bet range was probably quite tight, seeing that he only raises 7% of hands. (Maybe AA to JJ and AK) so you are probably beating less than 50% of his range.

Tough spot, but it might just have been possible to find a fold here.

Regarding how you are running, I think that you either need to take a break for a couple of days, or maybe change sites or levels. I have dropped down a level, and I feel refreshed!

DODGYKEN said...

Hand 1: I make it more to go pre-flop. If someone raises to $4 at the $100s, I make it $14. I guess that equates to making it $3.50 here. Check-calling the flop and leading the turn is a line that I'm going to start looking into. I really don't know what it means, and I guess it varies from villian to villian. Here, you can't assume he has a 9 because he leads, and assuming a flopped straight is being too paranoid. I think on a board like this (where I hate most river cards) I just shove too and hope for the best.

Hand 2: Again, raise a little more pre-flop (to cut down on their implied odds). I call his shove all day every day. Even though he doesn't raise much, you'll see 88-JJ, AK-AJ, and maybe some other random hands too.