Saturday 18 August 2007

Recovering After Early Losses

I seem to be having a good day followed by a bad day at the moment. Yesterday was a good day where after a bad start I managed to show an overall profit for the day. Helped by my Aces standing up against Kings which I'm not going to post. I played 1058 hands at 15.41/13.12.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1383277

This is a hand where I got into a bit of trouble from the BB. I said to myself on the River that I'll make 1 raise and fold if he reraises. So what happens, I call his all in reraise. With a paired and flush heavy board, I could and should have got away from this very easily. Whether I should have put a bet in in the flop or turn I don't know, I would have folded if he'd have bet on these streets thats for sure.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1383290


On this hand, with a raise and call, with my Mid Pair I called for the Implied Odds hoping to hit a set on the flop. Having been raised on the flop even though I had an over pair I think that this was an easy fold as he must either have a strong pair or hit his set and is probably a decision I make every time in this situation. He was at 21.92/9.59.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1383304

I'm getting into a few situations of late with hands like AQ where there is a pre flop raise before me and I'm in the blinds and out of position as in this example. I called the raise here in effect playing it like a small/mid pair and folded on the flop to the reraise having led out. Should I be reraising pre flop or even just folding straight off and waiting for a better spot. He's playing 24.12/14.5 over about 400 hands.

4 comments:

grinder said...

Hand 1

this is an easy fold . i know you ve flopped the st8 but his bet is screaming flush . i bet that hurt

Hand 2

i was just looking at his raise , this is not standard i think . it looks v stong . so i think the fold is good

Hand 3

im not sure that for me this is a strong enough hand to call

any chance of posting your pt pos stats. how do they compare with others . that is what i have concentrated on this month trying to play in position more

losbert said...

Graham I would tend to agree with you why I made that call on hand 1 I'll never know. I'll post my Position stats tomorrow when I post my weekly summary.

Cheers

robracing said...

Hand 1 :

I like you comment about promising yourself that you will try a play but then fold to a raise, (before finding your mouse taking on a life of it's own and calling the allin!) This could be me talking!

To be honest, I don't know that this was an easy fold. You have rivered a miracle gutshot str8, and it is very difficult to put the villain on a flush, as he would surely have bet the turn with the flush draw. It is much more likely that the villain has a set or trips, both of which you beat. Of course, it is impossible to put him on 4-of-a-kind. I am calling here.

Hand 2 :

Yes, easy fold. (See my blog for my new rule on one-pair hands!)

Hand 3 :

I have had a lot of trouble with AQ this week. I just watched a FruityPro video where he talks about how tricky AQ is OOP. I don't mind you call, but I think you should be check-folding the flop when you missed.

RakebackFAQ said...

Hand 1)
This is an ul spot its almost like the sites set you up sometimes i think you should listin to yourself sometimes some days this is an easy fold others its a call just UL i think.

Hand 2)
I like your play here i think you did the right thing. Another way to play it would be to check the flop and see what he bets , if he bets like you did i would call to see the turn plus that call might slow him down and you could hget to see the river.

Hand 3)
I would RR this alot of the time but as you played i wouldnt bet out 10J 10Q 10K QJ KJ QK AJ are probable hands for anybody to raise PF and would most likely raise you here like they did i think a RR PF would be a better way to play it.