Saturday 11 August 2007

Recovery After A Bad Start

I played just over 700 hands yesterday at a VPIP of 15.08, its getting there slowly. I had a bad start but after that played ok and recovered my initial losses by the time I finished playing.

This 1st hand is the main culprit in my bad start, I basically don't think there is much that I could have done to get away from this but I am open to any comments where I may have been able to prevent this. I'd forgotten to reload to the max which turned out to be a good thing.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1357726

I guess this next hand is what you call a Big Blind Special. However from my opponents point of view if you don't raise at any point in the hand you deserve everything you get. He was playing at 39.6/5.7. I fold to any pre flop raise. Looking back, I put a Value Bet in on the River, should I have pushed or is that an easy conclusion to draw knowing what he had. I put him on a suited Ace in view of his passivity.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1357736

This final hand, I think I got the maximum I could out of it. I checked on the river because with Potential Flush and Straight Draws on Board I thought that he would only call with a worse hand and I knew he was drawing to something as he had been showing a number of Drawing Hands prior to this. He was playing at 36.61/11.18 over 450 hands.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1357747

I've got the next week off so will hopefully have more time to play and would like to get about 1,000 hands a day in and see where that takes me. Mind you with the start of the Football Season today, that may reduce my playing time a bit. If my team Leicester City have as bad a season as they have in the past few , tilting may be an option because I'm not a good loser.

3 comments:

DODGYKEN said...

I wouldn't be too hopeful about Leicester's chances mate! Does Gareth Williams still play for you? I used to love watching him play for us. At least MOTD comedy edition is on tonight - on location at Pride Park!

Hand 1: I think I probably check the turn here. He raised UTG pre-flop and then called your flop bet. I think he has to be on AA-TT or AsKs / AsQs. I think he'd take a free card if he had overcards and a draw so you're only really ahead of TT if he pushes the turn. It's always a tough spot when you have QQ as an overpair when someone's shown aggression pre-flop and hasn't folded the flop. These are pretty much the toughest spots you'll find.

Hand 2: I think you played this fine. I might raise a little more on the turn in order to be able to fire a bigger river bet (or to charge him more whilst he's drawing). You could probably bet $10/11 on the river but I liek the way you played it.

Hand 3: I'd raise a little more on the turn here. If he is drawing, you want to get more in the pot on the turn as he'll not put anymore in on the river. I like the river check. You'd be sick if you bet and he raised - I did exactly that the other day and paid off a runner-runner flush. He also might try and bluff the Ad as it's a pretty big scare card. Looking at what he had, you probably don't get any value from his hand.

losbert said...

No, we sold Williams to Watford in January, thank god he was useless for us. I think he's got a long term knee injury. There'll be plenty of comedy night involving the rabble from Pride Park this season. Hopefully.

RakebackFAQ said...

Hand 1)
I dont think you can do anything about this just 1 of them hands it would be to good a fold to make.

Hand 2)
Nice bb special , i think you played fine except for the check raise on the turn that says you got a good hand. I think if you lead the flop for more 2-3 $ the same on the turn and push the river you would get paid better.

Hand 3)
After raising you should cbet more i think that way you can bet big on the turn and throw in a blocking bet on the river but as you played is fine to. 1 thing i learned from a coaching session i had was to cbeat alot but do it small when i dont hit and a bit bigger when i do that way i save a buy in over X amount of hands and you get paid off with your good 1s cause your betting more.

Good Luck man.