Sunday 5 August 2007

Play this Weekend

Plqyed just over 1,000 this weekend at 14.61/13.42 showing a very small profit of $6.74. I thought I played ok and didn't really get the results from how I played although hopefully that will come if I carry on playing like this . A few interesting situations cropped up which I have shown below:-

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1337558

I only have 10 hands with my opponent in this hand so had no read. What he was doing in the hand in the 1st place I don't know. I think I should have raised more preflop. My question is this, should I have got away from this hand on the turn or was I just destined to lose a buy in here?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1337581

On this hand, I definately should have bet more than half the pot on the flop. There is a bet half pot button where I played this hand which is too convenient and I have to get away from using it. He was at 31.25/10.80 over 176 hands but I felt he was playing looser than that. Again the same question as the previous hand, should I have folded to the check raise on the turn with a draw heavy board

These were the two hands that were my main losing hands, here's 1 more hand

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1337617


This final hand was against the same player as in hand two and also shows me hitting the half pot button again. The question I have with this hand is should I have put a value bet in on the River.

I made a decision after the session I played where the first hand occurred that at the moment, I just can't make Stars work for me especially in Cash Games and I am losing so much money because of hands like the 1st one on there. I know alot of people are winning there but its just not happening for me. I have therefore moved what money I had left before I lost it all to Gutshot Poker which is on the Prima/Microgaming network. I have moved it there because I can get 30% Rakeback and also they have regular Deposit/reload bonuses neither of which is available at Stars. I also had a deposit bonus from a few weeks ago that I need to clear by the end of August.

I am also going to move the money I have at Inter Poker to Sun Poker another Cryptologic Account so that I can again get Rake back which I don't have at Inter.

I don't think I'm going to be able to play much over the next couple of days for one reason and another but will check out some of the blogs if I can.

Good luck

3 comments:

robracing said...

Hi Chris,

It's not that I want to move your business away from Gutshot (I am a member of their poker club in London!), but you can get a much better rakeback deal at Battlefield (also Prima). Check out the rakeback forum on CR, and PM the guy there for an offer.

Onto the hands.

Hand 1 :

As you say, wtf was the guy playing at? The only was that you might have got away from the hand here would be to have led the turn for say $6 or $7, and then been raised all-in. Maybe then you fold here? But it would really depend upon your read on the villain.

Hand 2 :

This one is a really nasty spot. Villain has just about the only hand that makes his actions make perfect sense throughout. He flops top pair, the nut flush draw and a gutshot str8 draw. He isn't going away, even if you push on the flop. As you say, considering the potential flush draw on the flop, you should have bet closer to full pot, but it made no difference to the outcome in this spot.

Hand 3 :

Definitely value bet the river here! Villain needs to be holding A5 or 56 to have completed his str8, and neither of these hands would justify his call on the flop.

Again, with two diamonds on the flop, you need to be charging the flush drawers a higher price than half the pot to draw.

Good luck with your new choice of sites. I think it is a mistake to move from one site to another in search of easier or different action. I think that they are all about the same. You just need to exercise good table selection. (and particularly, be prepared to move tables if you don't like you edge at the table where you are currently sat).

DODGYKEN said...

Those stats sound like you're beginning to open your game up, which is good.

Hand 1: Make your 3-bet bigger. You can check out my article on it on my blog if you want, but I try to not give them odds to set-mine. I'd make it $3.50 - $4. I'd probably just keep betting on the turn as there are plenty of draws he can have. Then I'd plan on check-calling the river (if he just called the flop). If he raised the turn then I'd consider folding as that's they way most people would play a 6. It would be hard to fold though - maybe calling and folding to a river shove would be better.

DODGYKEN said...

Hand 2: Yeah I'd throw it away to the turn check-raise. Most turn check-raises aren't draws, and they're almost always better than 1 pair. This is the type of spot where I used to lose a lot of money. Now, I tend to throw away a lot of 1 pair hands if I meet any resistance. Remember - you want to be the aggressor, the one betting and raising. If you're the one faced with a call, and it doesn't feel obvious/right, then you're probably losing money in the long run by making the call. Just looked at the results - I'd note down that this guy will do this with a draw/semi-bluff. I think that you're normally behind on this turn.

Hand 3: Reload to the max pre-flop and don't bet 1/2 pot! You need to be betting more on the flop and turn here. I tend to go for 3/4 pot on the flop and 2/3ish on the turn. More on the turn if it looks like my opponent is drawing. You should definitely bet this river. You're only beaten by A5 and 65. I think there are plenty of hands he could have that will pay off another bet.