Sunday 8 July 2007

Another Steady Session

Played another steady session where nothing much really happened over just under 500 hands. One situation which seems to be occurring a bit for me at the moment is I am coming up against Loose player's from a VPIP point of view but who have got very low or zero Raise percentages. How do you play against these player's because I tend to raise pre flop or bet out after being checked to and they more often than not just call. How do you play against these player's because I never know where I am with them?

Here are a few of the interesting ones: -

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1244288

Yes I won this hand but I think I played it very badly. I had no read on the other player as I'd only just sat down at the table but he was in a full scale slanging match with another player at the table.

I should have reraised him All In instead of messing around continuosly raising eachother until all the money went in pre flop any way.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1244300

This next hand, I fell into my usual practice of not being aggressive enough on the Flop or Turn when I was well ahead. With the board pairing I would have folded to any bet on the river. The winner of the hand was at 57.14/0 and the other player was 42.31/0.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1244300

The problem I had here was that I should have reraised pre flop with AK instead of calling his raise. Having bet out on the flop and being called I did not know where I was despite having the Straight Draw. I ended up Check, folding on the turn. Opponent was playing 66.67/27.54.

As an aside I managed to finish 7th in a $4 180 player STT on Stars picking up $25.

2 comments:

Graham said...

Hand 1) Just shove the flop if you're going to lead the turn anyway.


Hand 2) You played this fine. I mean, maybe you can bet a little more on the turn ($2 or so) but it's not a big mistake or anything. BTW, fix the link on this one. There's an extra ? in it.

Hand 3) yeah, 3-bet preflop. Leading into this flop is pretty bad I think, it hits a ton of hands.

Marc said...

In terms of how to play against the loose passives, it depends on what they do postflop. If they play postflop the same way (call a ton, don't raise), then just wait for solid hands and value bet them to death. Don't try and push them off anything. You can still c-bet liberally heads up with them, IMO, as a lot of the time you'll end up with a free showdown after making your flop c-bet, and a lot of the time you're good. As they get to be less straightforward, then it really depends.

Hand 1: I would either shove the flop right then, or call and checkraise the turn all in. I don't think it matters that much, and even your line is OK, since he's shortstacked, and probably going to go the distance or fold with any of those lines. I'd also make my raise bigger preflop, for value, but also for being OOP.

Hand 2: No problem with this one, after they both call your flop bet. In fact, I might have played even more passive on the turn. It's a dangerous board and the pot is tiny.

Hand 3: Looks like the same link as Hand 2?